Here are a couple of items on ebay from the same seller. They appear to be soldier leather tunics, probably stunties wardrobe, from X:WP, obtained from the Turners' auction in NZ. This seller has decided to separate the components of one costume and auction of them separately. For a collector, this is disastrous, especially on ebay, as it's just so difficult to win several auctions.
There are three auctions, labeled identically. These really aren't props either, they are costumes.
Very Rare Xena Prop -- Incredible Leather Armor
Very Rare Xena Prop -- Incredible Leather Armor
Very Rare Xena Prop -- Heavy Leather, Metal and Chainmail
A costumer, however, will most likely only go after the costume components they want, often to enhance a costume they already have or are building. The difference is, the costumer WILL WEAR THE COSTUME and may even fight in it (if they belong to a recreation society, such as the SCA). A collector will conserve and display it. As the auctions feature photos of someone wearing the items, I'm guessing the seller is in the costumer camp, and not a collector.
The seller is trying to attract both species of wardrobe buyers: costumers AND collectors. But it's very difficult to have it both ways.
3 comments:
Here are some of my observations. The gauntlets he is modeling as part of the costume and selling separately are not the same gauntlets worn with the knight’s surcoat in the Xena episode “Gabrielle’s Hope”. So, to me he is not “breaking up the costume” because the gauntlets really are not part of that costume piece. And I would have to agree that the surcoat was either a stuntie’s costume or an extra that didn’t have much screen time. If you look his picture of the back of his surcoat you’ll notice that it lacks the different studs and other designs that the front has. However, the surcoats worn by the knights in the episode “Gabrielle’s Hope” have the designs on the back of surcoats. And one other thing, the capes worn by the knights in the episode “Gabrielle’s Hope” are green, not red, like the cape he is selling with his costume. I have a feeling he just mixed and matched costumes together to wear at a Ren Fair or something similar.
Thank you your fab observations.
I'm not sure he is selling that red cloak as his auction says the leather torso armor only. It could be that the pieces that go with that costume aren't in any of the pics.
You've ID'd the Xena ep, which the seller hasn't. This bolsters my idea that the seller isn't a Xena/Herc fan, but a re-creationist (I'm not putting re-creationists down; I belonged to the SCA for over 10 years myself).
I've also noticed that the seller has dropped his reserves on the auctions.
I just got done watching Xena season 6 episode "Return of the Valkyries" and the palace guards in the beginning are wearing the same surcoat as in "Gabrielle's Hope" but this time they have red capes attached to them instead of the green ones.
Post a Comment